“All companies of any size have to continue to push to make sure you get the right leaders, the right team, the right people to be fast acting, and fast moving in the marketplace. We’ve got great leaders, and we continue to attract and promote new leaders.”Steve Ballmer
ACTION is what makes leaders successful. It is action that produces results such as developing others, building relationships, and making decisions leading to more effective actions. The actions of the leader and their teams, along with the positive outcomes that they produce, will build the reputation of a great and successful leader and his company.
Deciding when to take action, and what type of action to take, is the choice of leadership. Building the right team for the proper task is a high priority of a leader. One of the first responsibilities of a leader is to communicate their visions to the employees. This will ensure the leader a higher level of success. A leader can create desirable results by creating a desirable environment.
Actions are triggered by decisions and continued decisions are needed for continued actions. Leadership is not a popularity contest, and there will certainly be times when the leader makes unpopular decisions. However, it is in the best interest of all concerned that the right action be decided.
“Great leaders communicate a vision that captures the imagination and fires the heart and hearts of those around them.”Joseph B. Wirthlin
A good leader needs the mind, ears, and heart to lead with the action of grace. To a confident leader, there is no challenge too big to handle. Once you adopt the right attitude with the right choices, the employees will follow suit and every challenge will present a new opportunity for greater achievement.
To be a strong leader you have to unlock the inner potential of the employees to become greater individuals. Your employees are like a garden.
Give them care. Get rid of the weeds. They will produce and take care of your needs.
Many people wonder how leaders know when to make the right decisions. The decision making process comes from an accumulation of life-time experiences. Many senior leaders say that they depend on their gut feelings when making decisions.
However, it is actually a combination of their experiences, emotional intelligence, and their understanding of the power of grace in their decision making process that makes them superior at making the right decisions.
Great leaders need to communicate regularly and openly in order for the team to realize their goals and visions for the organization. Employees need to know their importance in making things happen.
Great leaders inspire their followers into action. It may be difficult for some leaders to master all leadership traits. Most leaders are strong in certain areas and weak in others. Once the employees notice the leader is practicing the new traits or making a change for the better, the employees will follow them.
“Leadership is an action, not a position.”Donald McGannon
Here are some actions and traits that make up a good leader. My hope is that you will master them and become a leader of grace and action.
1. Trustworthy – Be honest and the employees will know where you stand.
2. Respect – They will not respect you if you don’t respect them.
3. Passion – A leader has passion and uses it to drive the team forward and ignite others to action.
4. Vision – Leadership success always starts with a vision. The vision provides a sense of direction- a route to the future.
5. Confidence – You must believe in yourself as a leader.
6. Compassion – Employees want to be treated fairly, understood, appreciated, and trusted. The new breed of leaders use compassion effectively.
7. Values – The values and ethics of a leader should be visible in your actions every single day. Actions speak louder then words.
8. Communication – great leaders share their vision and strategy with the team they lead.
9. Gratitude – Say “Please” and “Thank You” more often and be more appreciative of the team you lead.
IO. Responsibility – Take responsibility for your actions and the actions of the team.
11. Inspiring – Leaders inspire people to reach great heights of performance and success. Their passion and purpose play lead roles in making a great leader.
12. Compliments and Praise – Make people feel important – because they are.
13. Decisive – Make things happen by not putting off decisions.
14. Accountability – Take full responsibility when the team fails regardless of where mistakes were made.
15. Listening – The employees have a voice and need to be heard. Be a good listener.
16. Fairness-People will respect a leader who is tough as long as he is fair.
17. Care – Great leaders care about the company, and they also care about the workers who make the company run like a clock.
18. Empowering – Great leaders encourage their employees and make them feel powerful.
19. Humor – Great leaders do not take everything seriously. They want their followers to find joy and humor and use these attributes to elevate the human spirit.
20. Engagement – Leaders offer challenges, seek employee’s ideas, and recognize employees for their contributions.
“In the end, it is important to remember that we cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are.”Max De Pree